Creating Writing Advice
Essay Writing Help
What are the best ways to start a conclusion paragraph?
ad by Grammarly
What is a conclusion?
- A conclusion is what you will leave with your reader
- It "wraps up" your essay
- It demonstrates to the reader that you accomplished what you set out to do
- It shows how you have proved your thesis
- It provides the reader with a sense of closure on the topic
Strategies for an effective conclusion
- Play the "So What" Game.
- When you read a statement from the conclusion, ask yourself, "So what?" or "Why should anybody care?"
- Ponder that question and answer it
- Basically, I’m just saying that education was important to Douglass
- So what?
- Well, it was important because it was a key to him feeling like a free and equal citizen
- Why should anybody care?
- That’s important because plantation owners tried to keep slaves from being educated so that they could maintain control. When Douglass obtained an education, he undermined that control personally.
- Return to the theme or themes in the introduction
- This brings the reader full circle
- If you begin by describing a scenario, you can end with the same scenario as proof that your essay is helpful in creating a new understanding
- Refer to the introductory paragraph by using key words, or parallel concepts and images that you also used in the introduction
- Include a brief summary of the paper’s main points, but don’t simply repeat things that were in the paper
- Pull it all together
- Show your reader how the points you made and the support and examples you used fit together
- Include a provocative insight or quotation from the research or reading you did for the paper
- Propose a course of action, a solution to an issue, or questions for further study
- Point to broader implications
- A paper about the style of writer, Virginia Woolf, could point to her influence on other writers or later feminists
Concluding strategies that do not work
- Beginning with an unnecessary, overused phrase
- These may work in speeches, but they come across as wooden and trite in writing
- "in conclusion"
- "in summary"
- "in closing"
- "as shown in the essay"
- Stating the thesis for the very first time
- Introducing a new idea or subtopic in your conclusion
- Making sentimental, emotional appeals that are out of character with the rest of the paper
- Including evidence (quotations, statistics, etc.) that should be in the body of the paper
- "That’s My Story and I’m Sticking to It"
- Restates the thesis and is usually painfully short
- Does not push ideas forward
- Written when the writer can’t think of anything else to say
- In conclusion, Frederick Douglass was, as we have seen, a pioneer in American education, proving that education was a major force for social change with regard to slavery.
- "Sherlock Holmes"
- State the thesis for the first time in the conclusion
- Writer thinks it would be more dramatic to keep the reader in suspense and then "wow" them with the main idea, as in a Sherlock Holmes mystery
- Readers want an analytical discussion of the topic in academic style, with the thesis statement up front
- "America the Beautiful"
- Draws on emotion to make its appeal
- Out of character with the rest of the paper
- "Grab Bag"
- Includes extra information thought of or found but couldn’t integrate into the main body
- Creates confusion for the reader
- Topic sentence
- Fresh rephrasing of thesis statement
- Supporting sentences
- Summarize or wrap up the main points in the body of the essay
- Explain how ideas fit together
- Closing sentence
- Final words
- Connects back to the introduction
- Provides a sense of closure
promoted by Highbrow
, is an ending section which states the concluding ideas and concepts
Avoid beginning with an unnecessary, overused phrase such as "in conclusion," "in summary," or "in closing." Although these phrases can work in speeches, they come across as wooden and trite in writing.
Return to the theme or themes in the introduction. This strategy brings the reader full circle. For example, if you begin by describing a scenario, you can end with the same scenario as proof that your essay is helpful in creating a new understanding. You may also refer to the introductory paragraph by using key words or parallel concepts and images that you also used in the introduction.
Essays are the bane of many writers; especially when you have to use a generic structure like: Intro, Support, Support, Support & Wrap Up.
You can get quality and good essay from essay writing service .
The concluding paragraph functions very similarly to the hook or intro paragraph. Summarize what youve said throughout the essay and then draw a conclusion or final thought for the last sentence(s).
Intro: Talks about the topic and describes what aspects youre going to compare/contrast.
Support 1: The book focuses on these aspects.
Support 2: The movie focuses on these aspects.
Support 3. The book/movie is better because.
So youre conclusion should be something to the effect of:
Overall the differences between The Outsiders book and movie are negligible/great. The books primary concern is X. The movies primary concern is Y. Most people will probably prefer the book/movie because it is [reason]. While the two are notably different they both represent the movies theme (Theme) and tell a story that (insert random thoughts about The Outsiders).
Thats a basic structure; youll have to fill it in with the info that you know. (Ive only seen the movie so thats all I can give you). Its a good shell to start off with though.
A person should be able to read your conclusion paragraph and pretty much know what the rest of your essay said without having to read it. It should be a concise summary of the important points without any unnecessary details.
But good essay you can buy at Essay writing service . It is an academic writing agency that is designed to help you out with your academic tasks. They provide help with the following assignments: college and high school essays, research and term papers, thesis proposals and capstone projects, book and movie reviews, article critiques and academic tutorials, speech and presentation assistance, CVs, cover letters, resumes and other career application assistance, lab reports, scientific studies, etc. Anything you can think of, they can do it. Their goal is to provide you top quality writing help to improve your overall results at school or university. Take 15% OFF on your first order.
promoted by BTC.com
, B.Tech English Literature & Economics, Bachelor of Engineering Degrees (2015)
here is a definite structure of essay conclusion that the writers in Assignment Help by World’s #1 Assignment Helper MyAssignmenthelp follow. They know that, how to start a conclusion structure should be flawless to maintain the whole quality of the work. Thus, have a look at basic criteria that a conclusion should have and how an essay conclusion writer should follow the same.
- It should restate the primary focus: – When you essay has new ideas to produce that the essay conclusion needs to contain the same. It should have the reflection of that prime idea and also the main message that you aim to convey.
- How it is helpful in broader aspect: – An essay conclusion should also highlight the fact that how the research conducted is useful in broader aspect. When there is a proper topic for the essay, the essay conclusion needs to be constructive enough.
- Limitations of the research: – In the essay conclusion, you have to highlight the limitations of the research that you have faced. For example, you can mention about lack of adequate data or unable to provide proper supporting evidence of any given statement.
- Suggestions for future research:- The essay conclusion should also have the fact that the new idea that has been generated opens a scope for new research as well. It needs to have that potential to bring up another new idea as well.
- It should be compact: – The essay conclusion does not give you too much scope to express. Thus, you have to make it short and also to-the-point. Essay conclusion is not the exact place to show your interpretation skills which you have already done in the body part.
, English teacher and student of grammar
I ROPE my conclusions.
R – restate your thesis statement.
O – opine
P – please
E – exit (gracefully)
Restating the thesis statement from your introduction; rephrase it the statement and restate it clearly.
Opine – give an opinion on the topic. Do not use phrases such as “I think” or “in my opinion,” The reader can discern between opinion and facts. (“The AK47 is a more effective weapon than the M16A2,” or “Apple pie is clearly superior to cherry pie,” are both examples of opinion statements. )
Please – please take action, feel some emotion or think some thought. “The plight of the Emperor Penguins is in your hands. Please contribute.”)
Exit – make your last line one that is impactful. This is the line the reader will carry forward from the article. Keep it pithy and memorable. (No easy task, but it is rewarding to have your words remembered or quoted.)
, Diploma from Miami Trace High School (2013)
First of all, my tip is to being each paragraph written with a transitional word or phrase. Examples are “First of all, Then, However, Additionally.” My personal suggestion for a Conclusion paragraph is to being with the simple phrase “In Conclusion.”
After the transition, a simple summary sentence of the paper is typically written. This does not have to be a long, drawn out, nor detailed endeavor. Word it as simply as possible, yet still passing along the message.
Once the first sentence is written, simply list a simple summary sentence of each previous paragraph in an order from last to first. This way, the reader will be forced to recall what was written early in the paper as it will be one of the last things they read as well. The entire conclusion paragraph should have no more than four to five sentences.
In conclusion, the easiest way to write a conclusion paragraph to a paper is to keep it simple. Too many details have the ability to overwhelm your reader. It is important to begin with a transitional word or phrase. Then, add a simple statement summing the whole paper afterwards. Finally, add a few following sentences giving the general theme for each previous paragraph.
I hope this helped 🙂 Have a wonderful day!
, Professional Tutor (2016-present)
To write the conclusion, do the following:
- Bring together all the information – Begin by restating the information in brief that you have discussed in the paper . You can use one to two sentences to do this. You can start it by restating a word that you have used in the introduction paragraph. This way, a connection will be built between the introduction and the concluding paragraph.
- Persuade the reader once again – In the conclusion, you get the last chance to convince the reader of your argument and to establish the chief idea of the essay. So, you must put forth the major points or evidence that best backs up your argument. You can briefly discuss the importance of the chief examples that you have presented in the body paragraphs in the conclusion.
- State your analysis once again – In a few sentences, restate the analysis you have done on the subject matter. This must be brief and to the point.
- Present the limitations – In the conclusion, you should also present if there is any limitation to your argument or method you have used in the essay.
- Set a bigger context – In the ending of your conclusion, you can place your discussion into a wider context. Show how your argument or findings will fit into that context or area and how can it be used to explain or solve an issue in that area.
Read more: How to Write a Conclusion for an Essay